Theory of human dominance and submission - an outline.

If you have been reading my earlier posts you will have probably realised by now that I am working towards a scientific understanding of dominance and submission. I now feel ready to put forward the outline of a theory, although many of the details have still to be worked out.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that I would not have reached this point without the encouragement of readers of this blog who have posted comments and sent me emails. I am also aware that despite the fact that it has taken me a lot of hard work to get to this stage, the amount of work needed to take the theory on to the next level will be infinitely greater. For both these reasons I would like to open out this work to others in the online community who want to get involved. At the moment I can think of several areas where I could use some help, and I am sure others will emerge:

1. A theory needs to be able to answer questions and to make predictions which can be tested. Please let me know what would you like a theory of dominance and submission to explain, what sort of questions should it be answering, and what predictions should it make that can be tested? You don't have to be scientifically-minded to contribute to this one, just let me know via comment or email what questions you would like the theory to answer.

2. The second area in which I need help is in trawling through relevant research papers to gather the information needed to flesh out the theory. To help with this you will need some academic training in psychology or neuroscience or something similar, because some of these papers are seriously technical. I also need help in getting hold of articles in journals that I currently don't have access to.

3. Also, if you find these posts interesting please help to spread the word by telling others or by linking to this site.


Before I present the theory I also want to get something off my chest about animal research. While the only research I personally do is on a computer, I can't avoid the fact that much of the information about the detailed workings of the brain that I am using has come from animal studies. I'm not at all happy about this, and I wish it were otherwise. I don't really have an answer to this dilemma, as I know that to stop all animal research would largely halt progress on the understanding of the brain, and if our species is to avoid trashing the planet or annihilating itself then understanding what makes us tick seems more vital than ever. Comments please…

Now on to the theory. What I am giving here is a broad outline - I can put some parts of it forward with a lot of confidence and will be expanding on these in future posts. Other parts are highly conjectural and a lot more research is needed to back them up. In arriving at this theory I have used a lot of research published by others which I have not attempted to reference here. However the aim is ultimately to produce a fully referenced document with all sources acknowledged.

1. Human D/s has evolved from animal dominance and submission, a trait which is present in virtually all species of animals that live in social groups. It is therefore a deeply embedded genetically inherited characteristic.

2. The selection processes that drive evolution favour characteristics that are adaptive and eliminate those that are not, so for dominance and submission to have survived they must have offered positive benefits to our species in its original evolutionary environment.

3. D/s is not a single behaviour pattern, but is composed of many inherited patterns that are activated by internal and external triggers. These patterns served various purposes in our evolutionary history including:

survival: defence against predators, hunting for food;

reproductive: selecting a mate, sexual behaviours, keeping the mate, raising children

social: group living, resolving conflict, rank, belonging, dealing with outsiders

regulating internal state: managing feelings and emotions, self-esteem, attachment

4. These evolved patterns are not fixed, but are subject to modification during development from conception through to adulthood. Patterns which bring rewards are emphasised, patterns which do not tend to diminish. Mechanisms of classical and operant conditioning are likely to play a part in this, but I propose that there is an additional, specifically sexual form of conditioning based on separate biological mechanisms.

5. Hormones and other brain chemicals play a major part in activating behaviour patterns. Key substances in this regard are likely to include: testosterone, estrogen, oxytocin, vasopressin, serotonin, dopamine, the endorphins, adrenaline and noradrenaline.

6. The key area of the brain for producing these behaviours will be located in the brain stem ("reptilian brain"). The most likely candidate for the "control centre" within this area is an area of grey matter called the periaqueductal grey (central grey). This centre plays a key role in regulating the brain chemicals mentioned above.

7. The reptilian brain is itself regulated by more recently evolved structures which produce emotions and rational thought. Much of the time these structures act to inhibit the reptilian brain, thereby inhibiting it's innate behaviour patterns. The reptilian brain also serves to filter out much of the information that the senses receive, passing on only a fraction of it to the higher centres.

8. The subjective experience associated with the reptilian brain will be one of direct connection with the senses and the body, and therefore a feeling of aliveness. If there is excessive inhibition of the reptilian brain by the higher centres (particularly those where thinking takes place) the subjective experience is likely to be loss of aliveness, in other words depression and boredom.

9. D/s practices are an attempt to overcome this inhibition and filtering, in order to experience the intensity of feeling that is associated with the reptilian brain. This is done through arousal - painful stimuli, restriction of movement, creation of fear, erotic activities - all serve to create arousal which "wakes up" the reptilian brain from its state of inhibition.


To summarise, D/s comes from ancient evolved behaviour patterns which are selected and "tweaked" by our genetics and by our experiences while growing up. As a result some individuals will be strongly motivated to act on these patterns and others less so or not at all. We can choose to inhibit these patterns by force of will, but may pay for this by feeling less alive.

In future posts I hope to be able to amplify many of these points, but please be patient, as the research is going to take a long time!

Comments

  1. I can help with some of the research articles. Seems we could garner something from general studies of aggression and the Milgram studies. Just don't ask me to spend much time on animal bx research, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the process of getting back up to speed with current general research of brain function. The research in the last few years had gone miles ahead of the theoretical base from which I've been operation. Am also doing a little unofficial, anecdotal looking at another side of this. Love what you're doing here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I can offer you, in the short term, is anecdotal. Your research and conclusions feel right to me, based on my personal experience.

    I'm not a mental-health professional nor a researcher, though sometimes I wish I was. Unfortunately I don't know that I can offer direct assistance.

    Thank you for pursuing this despite the other obligations you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Nice to have stumbled on your blog. Although I find a lot of your post illuminating, I do think that there is a tendency in the field psychology to attribute a great deal of modern behaviour to adaptation success and evolutionary pressures.

    I always find that these explanations only half hit the mark. One of the problems with your explanation is that it doesn't really explain why many D/s practitioners don't maintain their positions of submission or dominance throughout their daily life.

    I think the answer lies in the fact that we are a little more complicated than that. That it is a mixture of nature, nurture, and a healthy serving of cultural conditioning.

    You don't see a lot of people in the third world spanking each other for fun. It is in the luxury of decadent societies that this sort of behaviour usually springs up. Perhaps we can't really enjoy playing at "pain" and "survival strategies" when we actually have to live them on a daily basis?

    Ack...I'm going on to long. Thanks for the stimulating post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the offers of help with the research. Anecdotes are helpful too, in that they connect the theory with real life, and provide a way of testing it out.

    I agree that the way we are brought up and what the culture says about dominance and submission also have a strong influence. But there has to be something already in the brain for early experiences and culture to modify, and that is the part I am trying to get at. I don't agree that it's an entirely 1st World phenomenon. There's a site at www.corpun.com full of meticulous detail from all round the world. Also the BBC put out a fascinating program called Tribe - one episode about the Hamar people in Ethiopia is very relevent (http://www.bbc.co.uk/tribe/tribes/hamar). I'd be interested to hear what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "by feeling less alive"...i know how that feels all too well...i never knew what was missing until i stumbled upon reading erotica...then i connected my needs...wants...desires...with submission and it was like a light came on...i look forward to reading more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating. This is the first time I've been able to find some kind of information that allows me to understand a little more about why this exists, especially the more extreme levels of S/M...that's the area I am totally stumped by. I get the D/s dynamic in general, and in my own sexual practice, I do, indeed, utilize some of these attitudes with a willing, understanding partner. I would like to follow you here and keep my own education going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about D/s as a way to engage with memes that hurt us, D/s as a way of making safe something that has been passed on in our cilture for generations?

    The theory that D/s is 'hard-wired' and passed on by genetics is very compelling. But I find the concept that 'we' are genetically, rather than memetically two tribes, chimps or bonobos, difficult to accept.

    How to test?
    I don't see a way yet...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't know how far you have advanced in your research. i am also researching this but i am looking for answers for myself.

    One of your noters mentioned that perhaps those living with pain and survival strategies don't see a need to seek it out. This is why i am seeking answers.

    i have been very active in the BDSm lifestyle for over 6 years... i am a slave belonging to a Sadist. What i am finding interesting is that since i have pain from physical illness's and have to take serious pain medication just to be able to function, my inner masochist has become non-existant.

    Do you have any answers for this? i do want it... but when play starts, i can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You raise a very interesting point - I don't have any definitive answers, but a few suggestions of avenues to follow up.

    From the research I've done I'm convinced that if there is a place in the brain where D/s tendencies are localised it would be the Periaqueductal Grey area, which is an area of grey matter located in the brain stem or "reptilian brain". It's where pain signals first get processed, and so quite possibly is strongly affected by painkillers. The PAG also has a lot to do with control of sexual arousal, so its not a big jump to conclude that this is where pain and pleasure get intertwined.

    Another possibility might be that the illness itself closes down sexual arousal (and therefore interest in D/s), perhaps as a way of conserving energy and improving the chances of healing.

    I hope you manage to find some answers.

    PH

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Submissiveness - serving two masters

Slaves

Behaviour Modification